International Re-Adoptions

International Readoptions


“There are no unwanted children, just unfound families.”

Now that you have found one another, ALG is here to help you finalize your readoption here in the U.S.

A U.S. birth certificate is a precious thing. By readopting your international child in the United States, your child will receive a U.S. birth certificate with your name/s on it as parent/s.
In some cases, the readoption is also necessary for citizenship status.

Fill out our contact form get started


Do I have to readopt my internationally adopted child?

Maybe. Make sure you check your child’s Visa status.  If they entered on an IH-4 or IR-4 Visa, they are permanent residents until you readopt them in the U.S., which must occur prior to their eighteenth birthday in order to receive automatic U.S. citizenship.  Regardless of whether it’s required, you should re-adopt your child in the U.S. so they are eligible to receive a U.S. birth certificate.

What does the process include?

You will need to have all of your certified documents, including the immigration documentation, certified, translated copies of foreign adoption decrees, and the original birth certificate from the child’s country of origin ready to be filed with the court. You will also need a report from between one and four post-placement visits by your homestudy agency, depending on your child’s immigration status. We will prepare the Adoption Request and supporting documents, communicate with your agency, and set your case for the finalization hearing.  In most cases, it is not necessary that an attorney appear with you at the final hearing, but you and the child will need to appear.  It’s a quick, happy hearing and friends and family are encouraged to attend.

Contact Us



Monday-Thursday 8:30am-4:30pm
Friday 9:00am-2:00pm
140 South Lake Ave
Suite 348
Pasadena, CA  91101
social channels